The Rotary International theme for 2013-14 is Engage Rotary, Change Lives. At Oak Bay Rotary, we are committed to changing lives, locally and internationally, for the better. We are a mid-size (60+members) club, comprising an active mix of enthusiastic experienced Rotarians and new Rotarians.
Local Community priorities this year include:
- Major sponsorship of the new Teen Centre at Oak Bay High School
- Document projectors for McCauley Elementary School
- A variety of local literacy projects aimed at “read early” initiatives for pre-schoolers.
Internationally we are fortunate to have a number of members, who collaborate onsite and oversee, design and deliver hands-on projects including:
- A mobile dentistry project in rural Guatemala
- Community and Women’s programs in Guatemala
- Sanitation in an orphanage in India
- A Girls’ School project in Malawi
- Homes, eco stoves and sustainable garden and protein projects in Rwanda for grandmothers and high school students
- A Community Centre in rural Mexico including computer literacy and upgrade programs.
This year, we are sponsoring our first Community Paul Harris Fellowship Dinner, to nominate and award non-Rotarian community leaders who exemplify Rotary principles in their work and in our community.
We are proud to sponsor and partner with both an active Interact Club and Rotaract Club. We are creating a Community Action Team (CAT) to volunteer, at least once monthly, in productive “sweat equity” projects within the community.
We have a growing core of young professionals who are taking on leadership portfolios in the club and pushing some of our “old” traditions to create “new” traditions in the club.
Visitors and visiting Rotarians frequently comment on the energy in the club and the beauty of our venue at the David Foster Foundation Theatre in the newly re-built Oak Bay Beach Hotel.
Come join us for lunch, Come join us to work, Come join us for fun. The welcome mat is always out and we look forward to meeting you.
New members are welcome!
Scroll down to view videos of our club's projects and information from Rotary International.
here for a history of our club's donations over the past 10 years